First of all, I’ve been making up silly songs for Wolfie. I am like the Weird Al of baby songs. Our latest? Bananas to the tune of Havana. And it’s catchy. Now every single time I think about bananas, or eat a banana or buy bananas, I am singing “Bananas ooh na na…Wolfie likes to eat bananas ooh na na”.
Is it stuck in your head now too? Sorry….
Anyway, banana bread is a revelation. It has everything I love. Bananas – good, bread – good. AND bananas have like 30 seconds of good ripeness and then they’re mushy so it’s a perfect way to use up them up! OR if you’re drifting through the last chance produce, they usually have perfect banana bread bananas for you (#frugallife #nowaste).
So this banana bread is ridiculously easy – especially with my KitchenAid Mixer – it’s basically dump ingredients together, plop in pan, bake, eat. This is my kind of baking. AND it’s endlessly versatile. Gluten free banana bread? No problem. Vegan banana bread? Got your back girl!
So here is the recipe (with suggested substitutions if necessary).
- 3 bananas
- 1/2 cup of butter (or 1/2 cup of applesauce / or an extra banana)
- 1 cup of sugar (you can replace it with 3/4 cup of honey if you want, but don’t. it’s not as good)
- 2 eggs (or 1/2 cup of yogurt or 1/2 cup of applesauce…my personal favorite is the yogurt)
- 1 1/4 cups of flour (gluten free flour works just as well)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Chocolate chips or walnuts (optional)
1. Mix together butter, sugar until smooth.
2. Add bananas and eggs.
3. Mix in dry ingredients until completely mixed.
4. Pour into greased bread pan. Add your chocolate chips or walnuts if you’re using them.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Let cool and eat!
If you make a bunch and want to freeze it – tightly saran wrap up and then put in freezer bag.
So get ready to go bananas (oooh nah nah)…